USA, New York: Entergy, the Indian Point nuclear power plant's operator, has announced that an insulation failure in a transformer caused the 9 May fire at the nuclear plant that spilled about 11,400 litres of transformer oil in the Hudson River.
The failed insulation, made of special paper, caused a short circuit in a high-voltage coil. The company regularly inspects its paper insulation for signs of degradation, but no problems were detected before the fire near the Unit 3 generator, reports Lohud.
The transformer contained 92,000 litres of dielectric fluid, a clear mineral oil that serves as a cooling agent and insulation. About 31,500 litres of oil have been recovered from the moat beneath the transformer, inside the transformer, drains and areas around the transformer yard, or were burned in the fire.