Nigeria, Abuja: The recent electricity accident in an Abuja suburb in which three persons died and several others were injured, has brought to fore the need for operators to improve on safety.
Few weeks ago three residents in the Abuja suburb Lugbe were electrocuted and several others were injured when a conductor from a transformer snapped and passed unsafe electricity to their homes.
Though the incident happened in the poorly planned settlement stretching right under the 330KV/132kV transmission lines, it was nonetheless part of the growing trend of the pervasive poor culture of supply and use of electricity in Nigeria.
The Abuja electricity distribution company (Disco) has its electrical facilities loosely connected and hanging on metal roofing sheets of houses without earthings, investigations showed.
According to experts, such practice can electrocute anybody in cases of electrical accidents.