USA, California: Power transformer explosion caused a structure fire near Montana and Second streets in Santa Monica.
Deputy Chief Tom Clemo said the wire sparked a fire in a third floor unit that prompted and caused the explosion. 50 residents had to be evacuated by the firefighters, reports Santa Monica Daily Press.
Clemo said four fire engines, several SMFD trucks, a battalion chief and haz-mat rig initially responded to the emergency call but more units were called to the scene.
He added that faulty electrical infrastructure has been experienced in the city. “We’ve had several electrical vaults get smoked up, or transformers explode but I don’t think that its anything uncommon in an urban environment.” One resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Source: Santa Monica Daily Press